This article is a sample blog post. Republication is prohibited.
Planning a New Year’s Eve celebration in the Big Apple? The city offers something for everyone, and we’ve got your ultimate guide to the best of NYC on New Year’s Eve. From concerts and family-friendly events to nightlife and VIP parties, there is no shortage of ways to ring in 2022.
Whether you’re looking for an intimate dinner party or a huge bash with thousands of your closest friends, this list has it all!
Things to know about celebrating New Year’s Eve in NYC
First of all, you will want to plan how you are going to get into NYC. You can either use your car or rent one. You’re also going to need a hotel for the night since NYE falls on a Saturday this year.
The New Year’s Eve ball drop in Times Square is a must-see. But if you want to do more than just watch the crowds, there are plenty of parties and other events going on across the city that will allow you to ring in 2022 with more privacy and style.
I went to the ball drop in New York City several years ago, and it was awesome. It’s an unforgettable experience that I would highly recommend anyone attend at least once in their life.
The thing I didn’t realize, however, is that the best way to celebrate NYE in NYC is actually at one of the many awesome bars there! I’m not just saying that because I think alcohol makes everything better (though it does), but merely because here are 5 reasons why you should stay out on NYE rather than go home early:
You’ll get to see people wearing bright white while the rest of the city is dark. To me, this was special because you can tell everyone celebrating downtown means it. They want to have a good time and they want to see the ball drop. It’s an amazing atmosphere.
New Year’s Eve is the perfect time to stay out late, have fun with friends, and enjoy some drinks! New York City has so many bars that are guaranteed to offer an unforgettable experience on NYE. Whether you want live music or just a place to dance all night long, there’s a bar for everyone.
It’s the only time of year where you can truly be free. There are no parents, jobs, or responsibilities. The only thing you have to do is make it until midnight and see the new year in.
It’s fun! The only thing that might make it better is if you have a date with someone you know to make the night even more special.
If you stay home, it’s over. You missed your chance to be part of something special. New Year’s Eve is the one time where everyone comes together and celebrates life in general. It truly means something when we get to just focus on ourselves for a night while celebrating with others!
NYE in NYC is an event every person should experience at least once in their lifetime. It’s not just about the parties and the countdown, it’s about all of the amazing experiences that come along with it.
What to do during the day
New York has always been a meeting point for many people from all over the world. It’s also considered one of the top destinations in the world to spend New Year’s Eve. Here are some things you can do during the day while you’re waiting for midnight to come around:
- Walk along 5th Avenue & window shop
- Take a tour of the New York Public Library
- Watch street performers in Times Square
- Ice skate at Bryant Park or Central Park’s Wollman Rink
- Go to the top of Rockefeller Center & watch the sunset over Manhattan
- Enjoy your last meal before entering into a new year
- For those looking to party all night long, head over to Times Square where there are concerts and DJs until midnight
- If you’re looking to go somewhere more tranquil, Central Park is always a safe bet
- Start your evening by going up the Empire State Building as it is open until midnight on NYE. You can enjoy one last glimpse at all of the stunning architecture of New York City.
- Visit Coney Island for the last few hours of 2021 and enjoy all of its beauty before it closes down on New Year’s Eve. You can ride some rides, take some photos with your friends or even watch the fireworks at 11:45 pm — they do a great job of competing with the ones in Times Square.
- Head over to Times Square as the clock strikes midnight! The ball drop is a huge event that can’t be missed, but make sure you’re not caught in the crowd when it happens — your best bet will be on one of the side streets or along Broadway where there’s more room to move around.
How to get around town during a celebration
There are two main forms of transit in New York City. The subway system is operated by the MTA and is what you’ll most likely use to get around town. Some buses operate outside of New York City.
The subway is the best way to get around in New York City on NYE. The MTA’s website states that there will be extra trains running throughout the city for two hours after midnight, but times vary depending on the lines.
There are several ways you can access public transportation during this time: either you purchase an unlimited ride card that allows for multiple trips, or you can purchase a single ride card and pay each time you swipe in.
Another option is to simply walk. This may be an easier solution if you’re not going too far from your starting point or it’s a nice night out and walking doesn’t seem like much of a hassle. If the weather isn’t cooperating, this might also end up being your best bet because traffic can get pretty crazy on NYE.
Don’t forget that you can always catch Uber or Lyft, especially if it’s cold out and walking for too long doesn’t sound appealing. That being said, these are your most expensive options when traveling to new places on New Year’s Eve in NYC so keep that in mind.
It’s also great to have a backup plan. If you’re traveling somewhere new on NYE, make sure you know where the closest stop or train station is so that if one option doesn’t work out quite how you’d like it to, there are alternatives ready and waiting for your arrival. This can be helpful when trying to navigate an unfamiliar area on one of the busiest nights of the year.
Where to go for NYE dinner
If you’re looking for a place to eat in the city, the choice is infinite. You can get everything from fine dining at Jean Georges or even at the chef’s seafood restaurant—The Fulton— to Asian fusion at Morimoto. Some of my favorite restaurants for NYE are Grand Central Oyster Bar, which has three different locations in NYC (gotta love that convenience), and Pastis—which never disappoints.
Another great option is to head up toward the One World Observatory, which offers a 360° view of New York City and its surrounding areas. The building also has a restaurant that serves food until late, so you can have dinner before heading out for the night!
If you’re looking for a more affordable dinner, go to Chinatown instead. There’s great cuisine there, and the neighborhood is quite active on New Year’s Eve as well!
Tips for staying safe on New Year’s Eve in NYC
- Stay aware of your surroundings and be aware of the location and time.
- If you’re going to a party, don’t leave your drink or food unattended – it may not be what you think!
- Don’t accept drinks from strangers – this is just common sense. Avoid taking any kind of drugs as well (even if they are legal). Drugs can make you very vulnerable.
- Don’t go alone to any place – this is also common sense, but it’s always better if you have someone with you for safety reasons. If possible, bring a friend or family member along!
- Stick to well-lit areas at all times.
- Don’t wear anything too revealing, this is a free country and you can dress as you please but make sure your outfit isn’t too short or low cut. You don’t want to catch unexpected attention.
- If something doesn’t feel right about the party or location where are going don’t hesitate to leave immediately – this is a good tip even if you don’t feel unsafe.
- If someone tries to take advantage of you, scream and try to draw attention – this will usually scare most criminals away. Make sure that your phone’s volume is on loud at all times!
- Be cautious when using taxis as they can be expensive, but also very helpful in a time of need.
- Stay with friends and make sure you know where you’re going to be, how long it will take, and when the event ends. Make sure your phone is fully charged at all times in case of an emergency.
- Have a plan before you go out, including how you will get home and what phone numbers to call if something happens.
- Keep an eye on your wallet or purse. Don’t let anyone get a chance to steal from you during this time! You can also keep certain cards separate for easy access and be ready to take them out if necessary.
New York City is the perfect destination for a memorable New Year’s Eve celebration. Whether you are looking to ring in 2022 at Times Square or have dinner with friends, there are plenty of ways to enjoy this special night. We hope that these tips will help guide your decisions as you plan your own experience!